Bassendean Primary School first opened as West Guildford Primary School in October 1906. In 1922 the West Guildford area, along with the school, was renamed Bassendean.
As a public school, Bassendean Primary School implements the identified values, focus outcomes and strategic directions of the Department of Education. We aspire to be a school of excellence where students strive to achieve and be successful. We aim to develop students who are confident and positive in developing meaningful relationships and have an understanding that each individual is different. As educators in partnership with parents, our greatest aspiration is that our students will grow up to be adults who contribute positively to their world.
Our teaching methods and standards are in line with the Australian Curriculum. We are reflective of our practices and future focussed on improvement. Our students are provided with support and opportunities to become self and socially aware.
As part of our Pastoral Care we have implemented Kids Matter and the social and emotional learning program, Bounce Back. Our support team comprises our Students at Educational Risk Coordinator, a Student Services Support Worker, Health Nurse and School Psychologist.
We have specialist teachers delivering an integrated curriculum in Visual Art, Music, Indonesian and Physical Education.
The Arts has a strong tradition in the local community. An in-school art exhibition is held annually with selected pieces entered in the Town of Bassendean Art Exhibition.
Our students participate in a wide range of sports throughout the year including swimming lessons, school swimming carnival, cross country, athletics, gymnastics, winter sports, inter-school carnivals, EduDance and a range of specialist sports clinics. The school also participates in the Department of Sport and Recreation’s ‘Active After School Program’. Programs are coordinated each term and run for eight weeks.
In consultation with the community a shared Vision, Values and Goals statement was agreed upon. This statement articulates our beliefs as a school community.
Bassendean Primary School community aims to provide a positive and safe environment that enriches every child’s desire to learn and strive for excellence and to be happy, responsible and confident members of the community.
Everyone who learns, works and interacts with Bassendean Primary School share an educational environment founded on the following key values:
- Show respect for ourselves, each other and our environment;
- Achieve our individual potential through the pursuit of knowledge, values and a commitment to excellence;
- Act with honesty and integrity in all we do;
- Take responsibility for our actions;
- Value diversity as demonstrated by the empathy we have for others;
- Show pride in our school and community;
- Appreciate our Australian heritage; and
- Display citizenship as a valued member of the community.
As a community we will strive to achieve the following goals:
- Show responsibility in the applications of skills, knowledge and values in order to make appropriate decisions; Learn constructively by participating fully in all class activities and
- Demonstrate care and respect in the way they deal with others, particularly towards those who are perceived as being different.
- Be proactive, responsive and approachable;
- Recognise and care for the individual needs of all students and
- Create an enthusiastic and positive learning environment.
Parents, care givers and family members will:
- Participate actively and constructively in their child’s education;
- Show respect and support for the endeavours of staff in recognition of their position as dedicated professional role models; and
- Cooperate with the school in meeting the challenges and opportunities of educating our children.
Welcome to Bassendean Primary School, we look forward to being part of your child’s learning journey.